The vital 25%: Understanding Snowdonia Distillery’s Philosophy
The culture we operate in is important to what we produce and the amazing quality we achieve. We were once told by a Master Distiller that distilling is 75% science, and 25% art. You have to get the science right, but to make incredible spirits the 25% art is vital.
When setting up Snowdonia Distillery, we did so chasing a dream: to hand craft the most amazing sprits on a small-scale while doing all we could for the local environment.
This philosophy runs deep. It effects every decision we make: or don’t make. It’s the reason we are ‘swp bach’ and why we take so long to make our spirits: because it results in an incredible product.
11 Must Read Books that Shaped our Culture:
1. Small is beautiful: a study of economics as if people mattered. By E F Schumacher. Published 1993
2. Antifragile: Things that Gain from Disorder. By N N Taleb. Published 2012
3. Do Story: How to tell your story so the world listens. By B Buster. Published 2013
4. Seneca, on the shortness of life: Life is long if you know how to use it. By Seneca c. 5BC – AD 65.
5. The Living Mountain. By N Shepherd. Published 1977
6. Deep Country: Five years in the Welsh Hills. By N. Ansell. Published 2011
7. The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness and Greed. By J Vaillant. Published 2005
8. Do Purpose: Why brands with a purpose do better and matter more. By D Hieatt. Published 2014
9. The Impulse Society: What’s wrong with getting what we want? By P Roberts. Published 2014
10. More Human: Designing a World Where People Come First. By S Hilton. Published 2015
11. Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology. By N Postman. Published 1992
“The most important right we have is the right to be responsible.” Gerald Amos
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodidity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may start to use it with love and respect”. Aldo Leopold
“Small budgets require brave ideas” David Hieatt
“Craftsmanship names an enduring, basic human impulse, the desire to do a job well for its own sake.”
Richard Sennett, The Craftsman
‘Never Give Up’ St David’s College (unofficial) motto.